Well to tell you the truth I had never heard of him either. But now that I found out who he is I am in love with this man’s music.
“Searching For Sugar man”, is a 2012 Swedish/British documentary directed by Malik Bendjelloul, detailing the efforts of two Cape Town fans, Stephen ‘Sugar’ Segerman and Craig Bartholomew Strydom, to find out if the rumored death of American musician Rodriguez was true, and, if not, to discover what had become of him. Rodriguez’s music, which never took off in the United States, had become wildly popular in South Africa, but little was known about him there. The film is produced by Simon Chinn and John Battsek.
Sixto Diaz Rodriguez is Sugar Man’s real name. After the failure of his two albums in the U.S., he turned to construction work. Later he received a bachelor’s degree in philosophy. He was unaware that his records made him a superstar in South Africa during the Seventies. Sugar Man has his first South African tour in 1998, when he is in his 70’s.
This is an awesome true story of a humble man who is a truly great singer. If you get a chance please go and see this movie. I am awed by this man’s music and so wonder why it never took off in the United States.
Here is the Song “Sugar Man” from utube
You wonder why I ask this question, well let me explain. I lived in Louisiana most of my life. All through school, elementary through high school I was the only Carol. Later I went to work for a Large casino and my boss who was older than me had the name Carol. At the time I was in my early 40’s.
I then move to Florida and everywhere I go Carol, Carol ,Carol but guess what, all the Carol’s I meet are my age or older. I am now 53. Inquiring minds want to know, “Are there any young Carol’s?”
Just wondering if this name (Carol) is going to be lost with my generation or is there a younger generation out there somewhere with the name Carol.
Today was my last day of school. I am so excited that I made a “A” in Typography. All I have left now is to put my portfolio together next semester then I graduate in May. Can’t believe I am finally getting to the end.
Five Fact Friday ask that you list 5 facts about yourself so here goes:
1. I work 35 to 40 hours a week as part of the management team for 2 stores. One is a high end clothing store and the other other is more of a casual beachy clothing store.
2. I have a jewelry business, Cami Jewelry, where I design and make jewelry, and sell these items on Etsy and in a shop on the beach. i also have another business with my husband, Loethen Art Designs. I sell our photography on Etsy and in a shop on the beach.
3. I am going to school for Graphic Design. I am taking Typography this semester.
4. I have two beautiful spoiled birds as pets. Sole, my Sun Conure, and Luna, a Goffin Cockatoo.
5. I have 11 grand children ranging from 18 years old to a few days old. Brittany, Brain, Tiffany, Brandon,Cameron,Grant, Gavin, Brody, Brooklyn, and newest grand daughter Jordyn.